Friday, April 20, 2012

Recipe of the "Week"

I did not realize it's been so long since I've introduced a new recipe!  Obviously, that must be rectified immediately!  And what better way to do that than to make homemade chicken nuggets with super healthy ingredients?  This recipe is adapted from The Eat-Clean Diet for Family & Kids, which has tons of really great recipes that are perfect for picky eaters (like me) who don't go in for gourmet cooking.  Other than doubling it (& using the whole egg rather than just the white), I only made one teensy change:  2 pinches of garlic instead of just one.  I know, I know, it's kind of reckless, but what can I say?  I love garlic.  ;-)


Crispy Chicken Bites
(a.k.a Chicken Nuggets at the Bungalow)


Ingredients (This is the original recipe; I double it for 2 lbs. of chicken):

-1 lb. chicken breasts
-1/4 c. oat bran
-1/4 c. wheat germ
-1/4 c. coarsely ground almonds
-1 T coarsely ground flax seed (my hand-held Cuisinart would not grind these little seeds, so I just threw them in as is; a coffee grinder might work if you just have to have them ground)
-1/2 tsp. sea salt
-1/2 tsp. white pepper
-2 pinches garlic powder
-1/2 c. chicken stock
-1 large egg, beaten

Directions:

-Preheat oven to 400 degrees F & grease a baking sheet or casserole dish.  (I use farm-fresh butter that I melt in the dish while the oven is heating up.  The cookbook has a recipe for cooking spray, too, if you'd like to go that route.)

-Cut chicken breasts into bite-sized pieces & set aside.

-Combine dry ingredients into a large container with a tightly fitting lid & shake vigorously.

-Combine egg & chicken stock in a medium bowl.

-(Optional, but very helpful) Make an assembly line on your counter or stove top with egg mixture first, then coating mixture, then greased dish.

-Dump several pieces of chicken in the egg mixture, then dip them out & roll them one by one in the coating mixture (coating them thoroughly) & line them up on your dish.

-Once the dish is full, bake the chicken nuggets for 10-15 minutes, or until golden.

The full meal of nuggets (which need no condiments), green beans, buttered sweet corn, & smothered potatoes.  Okay, now I'm hungry!

0 comments: