Saturday, May 15, 2010

A Proverbs 31 Woman

I love my mama. Seriously. She's one of my favorite people in all the world. Which, if you know her, you find completely understandable. My mama is:

     -funny (she makes me laugh all the time)
     -beautiful (I mean, just look at the picture!)
     -loving (she loves fiercely, not only emotionally, but in action as well)
     -smart (this speaks for itself)
     -wise (she knows how to handle situations & people in the most amazing way!)
     -sacrificial (she'll give anything she has to in order to meet the needs of others)
     -fun (she's just fun to be around, even when we're doing nothing in particular)
     -godly (she loves God & raised me to love Him as well, something for which I am deeply grateful)
     -hardworking (she always has something going on)
     -protective (mama bears have nothing on her!)

When I first moved to GA, people would say to her, "But you & Chrissy are so close!" - implying that I should therefore be unable to move so far away. Her response: "We're still close." It hasn't always been that way. I was very difficult from 11-14. Very. VERY. She says the day I turned 14, I did a total reversal & was her Chrissy again. I actually remember that day. Suddenly the anger was gone. Simply gone. And I could enjoy my family once more. I also remember the day that it dawned on me that Mama knew more than I did about life, & perhaps I should listen to her. It was around the same time I came out of my "difficult" (again, that's putting it mildly) stage. From then on, our relationship just simply blossomed. I loved to be with her so much that I would follow her from room to room like a puppy dog - something I still will do when we visit.

Now, I'm living closer to home than I did when I lived in GA, but it's still a 6 hour trip. I don't get to see Mama as much as I'd like, but we talk - sometimes for hours - every day. We share our struggles with each other, laugh over some funny tale, reminisce about the past & loved ones who are gone, & talk about God's endlessly beautiful character. I got to spend Mother's Day weekend with her this year. We met halfway in Pearl, MS. We didn't do much of anything other than talk, but we had a great time. We ate out together. We worshipped God together. We cried together. We hunted for a Wal-Mart together, which you wouldn't think would be so difficult to find. Of course, we laughed together.

I prayed over our lunch on Mother's Day & cried as I thanked God for making me her daughter. As I was talking with a friend one day, I mourned over the fact that I don't have as close a relationship with one of my family members as she has with her corresponding family member. She gently reminded me that she doesn't have the relationship with her mother like I have with mine. It's rare, I think, for mothers & daughters to be as close as Mama & I are. I'm not sure why that is. Mothers are God's gift to us. I'm grateful beyond measure that God gifted me with my Mama. She's my best friend.  She's the best Mama ever. And I love her more than words can say.
Note the 2 fingers that she's holding up behind my head while sporting a completely innocent look on her face.  Bad Mama!  ;-)

2 comments:

Abby said...

Ok...thanks for making me cry on this one! I am 7 hours away from my sweet Momma and I miss her like crazy! Thanks for sharing about your relationships and being real with us!

The Boyds said...

Sorry, Abby! I know how you feel; Mama & my whole family are 6 hours away. I see them maybe 3 times a year. It's really wonderful, though, that God has blessed us both with such awesome mothers, huh?!