Monday, May 24, 2010

Recipe of the "Week"

Okay, so, this recipe's name is misleading. In my family, we call it "BBQ Hamburger", even though there's no BBQ sauce involved. It's really more like a Sloppy Joe, but I guess we had to get all cutesy & original. Blame it on Granny; it's her recipe.

BBQ Hamburger

Ingredients:

-1 lb. ground meat
-1 small chopped onion
-1/2 c. ketchup
-2 T Worcestershire
-2 T prepared mustard
-1 tsp. sugar
-1 c. boiling water

Directions:

- In a large skillet, cook meat thoroughly until it turns a nice brown & is very crumbly. (I don't like big gobs of meat, so I chop mine up finely while it's cooking. It's a personal preference, but it does make the meat go further, as well.)
-Add the chopped onions & cook until they are clear. (I chop these up finely in my little hand-held Cuisinart chopper; I don't like big gobs of vegetables any more than meat!)
-Add all other ingredients to the meat & onions & combine thoroughly.
-Simmer with lid on until done to a spooning consistency. It will darken & firm up while it's cooking. (As a side note, if you don't have a lid - like me - a splatter guard works beautifully.) Remember to stir occasionally as it's "drying out" to prevent sticking.
-Toast your bread or buns & serve open-faced or like a hamburger.
-Don't forget your fries!

This is a wonderful summer-time meal, especially if you make home-made ice cream for dessert. Just remember to invite us, too! ;-)

0 comments: