Friday, September 10, 2010

Recipe of the "Week"

There seems to be a lot of confusion, so I'm going to set the record straight.  Yes, I am from Louisiana. No, I am not Cajun (that's south LA), which is why I just have a typical Southern accent.  No, I don't eat seafood (or pondfood or riverfood or any kind of swimmingfood), & I don't like spicy (as in "hot") food. Well . . . okay, that's somewhat untrue, because I have taken quite a liking to salsa in the last couple of years. But generally, spicy foods & I are not on speaking terms, simply because when we do talk, they're mean to me. This jambalaya is the epitome of spicy, though, if by that you mean "flavorful". And I'm all into that! And I don't even need any Tabasco. Or seafood.

Chicken & Sausage Jambalaya

Ingredients:

-2 stalks celery
-1/2 bell pepper
-1-2 onions
-garlic (I just shake in enough to cover the top)
-1 c. rice
-2 c. chicken broth
-1-2 packages smoked sausage (we use turkey sausage & love it)
-1-2 lbs. chicken breasts
-1-2 cans Rotel
-1 small can tomato paste

Directions:

-Slice & brown the sausage & chicken, then set aside.

-Mince & sauté the celery, bell pepper, & onions.

-Combine all ingredients in a large skillet or pot & simmer until liquid is gone & rice is tender.

This is just a basic recipe, without bells & whistles. If you want something more, try this recipe; it looks fantastic, & I'll probably throw in some of those ingredients the next time I make this. For our recipe, use 2 packages of sausage if you want lots of sausage or 2 lbs. of chicken if you want lots of chicken (in the pictures you see 1 package of sausage & 2 lbs. chicken). If you want it spicy (as in "hot"), throw in 2 cans of Rotel. I just used one & it wasn't spicy in the least.

That's it! It's so simple & so good. Michael refused for more than 3 years to let me make this, but one taste & he begged me to make it regularly. Serve it with garlic bread & a salad.

Laissez les bon temps rouler!

0 comments: