Saturday, April 3, 2010

Recipe of the "Week"

Before I met & married the love of my life, pretty much the only thing I knew how to cook was frozen dinners. Cooking for one is just not all that fun to me. Then, Michael came along, & all of a sudden, I had a passion for cooking! There are very few things that thrill me more than hearing my sweet husband "ooh" & "ahh" over something I've fixed while his eyes roll back in his head in delight. In a spirit of sharing the love, I've decided to include a "Recipe of the Week" segment here on our blog. Hopefully, our favorite recipes will become some of y'all's favorite recipes, complete with the adoring utterances & eye-rolling rapture. Now, if you've kept up with our blog, you know that we don't actually update this thing every week. So, this might actually turn into more of a "Recipe of the Month" venture. Okay, without further ado, I present to y'all our inaugural recipe. . .

Best Ever Banana Nut Bread


Dry Ingredients:

-1 3/4 c. flour
-1 1/2 c. sugar
-1/4 tsp. cinnamon
-1/8 tsp. nutmeg
-1 tsp. baking soda
-1/2 tsp. salt

Wet Ingredients:

-3 ripe bananas, mashed
-1/2 c. oil
-1 tsp. vanilla
-1 c. buttermilk (I make sour milk with lemon juice & milk)
-2 eggs
-1 c. walnuts, coarsely chopped (not "wet", I know, but it still goes here)

Directions:

-Thoroughly sift together dry ingredients in a large bowl & make a well in the center.
-Combine bananas & wet ingredients (minus walnuts) in a medium bowl.
-Add banana mixture to the dry ingredients & mix together thoroughly.
-Fold in walnuts.
-Line a 9"x5" loaf pan with foil & spray with cooking spray.
-Pour batter into loaf pan & sprinkle with Streusel-Nut Topping (optional).
-Bake @ 325 degrees for 1 hour, then cover with foil to prevent burning & cook an additional 20 minutes or until golden brown & a fork comes out clean when inserted into the center.

Streusel-Nut Topping

-Combine 1/4 c. brown sugar & 3 T flour in a small bowl. Using a pastry blender or fork, cut in 2 T butter (not too soft) until coarse crumbs form. Stir in 1/3 c. chopped walnuts.

*Of course, it's wonderful warmed up, with a little butter & a tall glass of cold milk.  I hope y'all enjoy it as much as we do!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
The Boyds said...

If the comment above was your post, then I apologize for having to delete it. I approved it at first, even though it was written in an Oriental language & thus unreadable by me, because I thought it was probably a good, harmless comment. After following the links in the comment, I was led to a page with a girl standing in a suggestive pose. It could also have been harmless, but since it was in the same Oriental language, I have no way of knowing & must err on the side of caution. If it was harmless, I apologize for deleting it. If not, then please don't comment here again. Either way, unless you post in English so I can read it, it will be rejected in the future as well in the name of propriety.