Saturday, April 10, 2010

Recipe of the "Week"

I remember eating this meal sitting at my Granny's table in her eat-in kitchen in Ringgold, LA when I was a little girl. There's nothing I like better than recipes passed down from my Mama & Granny! Michael heartily agrees; his favorite recipes from our kitchen originated (at least for me) in Granny's & Mama's!

Biscuit Roll

Ingredients:

-1 small onion, chopped
-1 small bell pepper, chopped (I use 1/2 of a large bell pepper, as I can never find a small one!)
-1 1/2 to 2 lbs. ground meat
-salt & pepper to taste
-1 T beef bouillon granules (2-3 cubes)
-1 c. water
-1 T flour

Sauce:

-cream of mushroom soup (if you despise mushrooms, as I do, you can easily pick them out before digging into the biscuit roll.)
-milk (start with 1/4 c. & add to as needed for desired consistency.)
-any left-over meat mixture

Directions:

-Brown ground meat in large skillet, then drain, rinse, & return to skillet.
-Add onion & bell pepper & sauté until onion is clear.
-Add beef bouillon & water & stir until bouillon is dissolved.
-Add flour to thicken mixture & simmer to spreading consistency.
-Cool completely.
-While meat is cooling, prepare biscuit dough (use your favorite recipe).
-Roll dough into a rectangle on a floured surface & spread cooled meat mixture over dough, minus about 1/2 to 1 inch of edges.
-Roll into jelly roll & slice into 1-inch thick slices with large bread knife.
-Place slices meat side up on foil-covered & greased cookie sheet.
-Bake @ 375 degrees until golden brown.
-Top with sauce & serve with a side of English peas, carrots, & a fruit salad.

ENJOY!

0 comments: