Saturday, July 16, 2011

Quotable Christians

I'd like to share some quotes with you that have been meaningful statements in my life over the last couple of weeks.  These are by no means the only meaningful statements that have impacted me, but I don't think anybody has time enough for me to list them all!  ;-)  So, for the sake of brevity, I'm choosing 3 (my favorite number - yes, I'm dorky enough to have such a thing) to share.  First up:  John Piper (admit it, you knew he'd be in here!) . . .

     *"When you are united to Christ, by one thing – faith – you are disunited from His competitors – sin.  If you are at home with Jesus, you are at odds with sin.  Not because being at odds with sin makes you at home with Jesus, but because being at home with Jesus makes you at odds with sin!"

Can you guess who said this next one when speaking of the formulation of his doctrine?

     *"I should have much to answer for had I invented it myself, or taken it upon trust from Calvin, but as I find it in the Scripture I cheerfully embrace it."  Time's up!  If you guessed John Newton, go buy yourself some ice cream (the best reward for a job well done that I can conceive)!

And last, but certainly not least, a quote from a man that I admire, respect, & love personally - my own pastor:

     *"Everything about our faith is personal, but none of it is private."

So!  There you have it.  Be at home with Jesus - through faith - & at odds with your sin, form your beliefs on God's Word alone, & share your faith with others both in word & deed.  Words of wisdom to live by.  Go in peace; serve the Lord!

0 comments: