Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Recipe of the "Week"

Y'all are gonna be so proud of me!  Fuddy-duddy stick-in-the-mud unspontaneous me tried something new!  And loved it, I might add.  "Bungee jumping or parachuting?", you might ask.  Not in this life!  Nope, I made Tamale Pie for supper this week!  Much more tame - though, to be fair, I've eaten it before (being a Tex-Mex connoisseur), but have never made it.  Sometimes cooking new-to-me meals can be intimidating.  However, let me assure you, this one isn't in the least!  Seasoned meat, corn, kidney beans, & cheese topped with cornbread - what could be better?

Tamale Pie


Ingredients:

-1 1/2 to 2 lbs. ground beef (I recommend 2 lbs.)
-taco seasoning
-whole kernel corn, drained (amount to suit taste; I boiled ~1 can's worth of frozen corn)
-dark red kidney beans, rinsed (amount to suit taste; I used 1 can)
-shredded cheddar cheese
-1/2 recipe of favorite cornbread, minimally or non-sweetened variety*

Directions:

-Cook ground beef in a large skillet until it's cooked through & crumbly.

-Season with taco seasoning according to the directions on the packet/bottle.

-Grease the bottom & sides of a 9"x13" glass baking dish.

-Layer the beef, corn, beans, & cheese.

-Top with the cornbread & bake according to the cornbread recipe.  You may have to cover it with foil to prevent burning.

*I topped 1 1/2 lbs of meat with a full cornbread recipe, & it was too much bread.  My cornbread recipe also called for 3/4 c. sugar, & it was far too sweet.

0 comments: