Saturday, February 12, 2011

Recipe of the "Week"

Protracted groans as of someone being tortured always accompanied my mother's declaration of meatloaf for supper.  The fact that I had a healthy fear of her wrath meant that these groans only echoed in my own head, but trust me - they were very present & very loud!  I've always been quick to choose something else when given the option, & I have certainly never ordered meatloaf at a restaurant.  Honestly, I don't plan on changing that, either; however, I have recently grown to like the homemade version!  I don't think I'll be granting Michael's request for it every week quite yet, but I have started fixing it more frequently than never already.  So, that's an improvement, huh?!

Meatloaf

Ready to eat!  We take each meatloaf bite with a mashed potato bite
& wash it down with butter-coated yeast rolls.  YUMMY!

Meatloaf Ingredients:

-1 lb. ground beef
-1 egg
-1 tsp. salt
-1/4 c. tomato sauce (8 oz. can leaves some left over to pour on top)
-3/4 c. bread crumbs (about 3 toasted slices of bread, ground finely)
-1/4 tsp. pepper
-1 onion, finely minced
-1/2 bell pepper, finely minced
-2/3 c. water
-1 T Worcestershire sauce

Setting out my ingredients.  That lovely bowl was passed
down from my Granny.  Aren't my pink measuring spoons/cups pretty?!
And check out the egg:  it's farm-fresh-green!

Meatloaf Topping Ingredients:

-3/4 c. ketchup
-1 T brown sugar
-1/2 tsp. mustard
-dash Worcestershire sauce


Meatloaf Topping Directions:

-Combine all ingredients in a small bowl.

-Pour & evenly distribute Meatloaf Topping on top of already baked meatloaf & replace in oven for an additional 15 minutes.

Out of the oven, ready to serve!  It takes a little maneuvering
to get the first slice out, but it's worth the effort!

Meatloaf Directions:

-Using a fork, thoroughly combine all Meatloaf Ingredients in a large bowl.

-Cover a 9"x5" loaf pan with foil & grease the bottom & sides well.

-Pour the meat mixture into the loaf pan & spread out evenly with the fork.

-Pour remaining tomato sauce over the top.

-Bake @ 375 degrees for 1 hour. Remove from oven & carefully drain off excess liquid.

-See Meatloaf Topping Directions.

-Slice & enjoy with mashed potatoes, corn, green beans, & rolls! Lemon Icebox Pie is a wonderful complement as well!