Monday, February 21, 2011

Our Trip to LA (Louisiana)

I've been meaning to write to explain my absence week before last, but we've been mighty busy 'round here (said with a country twang).  Michael & I set sail for LA that Monday morning.  We were actually able to get an earlier start than expected because he got called off of work that Sunday night.  We didn't get much sleep, though, I guess from the excitement.  So, we loaded up the car with belongings plus Jake & headed out early.  Although I had seen Mama for Mother's Day, & both she & Dad came for my birthday, I hadn't seen the rest of my family in more than a year.  We kept scheduling visits, which kept being put off because of Ginger's illness & chemo.  Needless to say, I was excited to be able to spend some time with them!

Monday through early Wednesday afternoon was mainly spent with the kids.  We stayed at Mama & Dad's, but being a realtor keeps Mama hopping, so we didn't get to spend as much time with them as we would have preferred.  I wish I had pictures to share, but we were so busy actually being with them that neither of us thought to take pictures.  Plus, my brother would kill me if I put pictures of his babies online.  So, you'll just have to take my word for it that they are the most beautiful children on earth - along with my other nieces & nephews, obviously!  ;-)  My nieces & I got to play a board game or two, but the main event was putting on makeup!  I was able to get a couple of pictures here, but again, I can't share them.  Oh, but were they ever precious!!!  My nephew & I got to play a few different board games, after which he & Michael battled it out on some fighting video game.  I also visited their school to spend lunch with them.  My nephew was so sweet, holding my hand & telling me that he just loves me so much.  My niece was happy with me being there, but is of the age that hand-holding & kisses in public are taboo; however, I did get a hug when I left.  ;-)  Come Wednesday when we had to say good-bye & leave, I thought my heart would break!  I've missed them terribly, more than I even realized, which is saying a lot.

Of course, food plays a big role in our trips back to LA!  Our first stop when we drove into town was at Johnny's.  Oh, my, how I wish they would establish one of those here!  We ended up filling up on it 3 times in those few days because it's oh, so wonderful!  The best pizza anywhere!  Seriously!  We also had some good ole' TexMex, something that I sorely miss over here.  I always thought that I was a major fan of Mexican food until I realized that there's a distinction - & quite a large one at that - between authentic Mexican & TexMex.  For me, TexMex = YUM; Mexican = not so much.  I was in love with the super thin chips, the beef tamales with chili sauce, & the fact that butter was readily available for my tortillas with no weird "what-do-you-need-that-for?" looks from our server.  Wednesday evening & Thursday morning were spent with Daddy, which occasioned our second meal of Johnny's & my introduction to a lovely Ben & Jerry's concoction called Strawberry Cheesecake.  It's "some kind-a wonderful"!  We topped off with Johnny's on the go on our way out of town, a fitting farewell, I think.

Even though it was sad to leave, I was honestly ready to get back home.  I am a homebody, so while it's fun to take a trip, I'm always eager to get back to my home & routine.  We're planning on visiting more often - especially so we can see my babies!  Maybe next time I'll be able to post some pictures . . . at least of the adults!  ;-)

0 comments: